Friday, October 19, 2012

An update on the doggie Underground Railroad

In the past 6 months I got a new job where my hours have changed. It gives me more freedom to do the things I love on weeknights and weekends. I've been training with the Paws to the Rescue group to become more involved in transport and hope to become more involved in rescue.
I know it's easy to become overwhelmed and sad by the problem of homeless pets. I know seeing photos of pets who have been put to sleep is upsetting and may make you want to give up on rescue. I also know if it wasn't for the amazing, strong volunteers that I share many of my weekends with the amount of dogs and cats put to sleep in a week would go up to numbers I don't even want to fathom.
Is being a part of the rescue world difficult?
Yes.
Does it hurt my heart to walk into a shelter and know I can't take everyone home to safety?
Yes.
How do I solider on?
By looking at the things I CAN do.
I may not be able to save everyone but I can save ONE and for the rest I can network, talk up what I do, get in contact with friends and family to discuss fostering and rescue.
Fostering saves lives! Find out what your local rescue or shelter will cover, oftentimes medical care is completely covered, sometimes food, toys and grooming us covered as well. What do you give? A pet a safe place to give until they can be adopted and love.
Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment