Saturday, September 28, 2013

First Pregnancy Appointment -- the art of peeing in a cup

The first appointment to the OB/GYN for this pregnancy was pretty uneventful. They told us we'd need to get an ultrasound to figure out how far along exactly I was and I'd get to pee in a cup to do a drug test.

So the drug test.

I'm all for drug testing to make sure the mother isn't a drug addict and lying about it. I'm all for protecting children, unborn and born, from people who will neglect them and forgot about them in favor of a drug habit.

But I was asked very casually if I do drugs then asked what prescriptions I'm on to make sure everything was pregnancy safe. Now I'd already been over my prescription medication a few weeks prior with my PCP once they confirmed the pregnancy just to make sure I was on pregnancy safe medication a little early -- you know since the OB won't see you until you're 6-8 weeks pregnant?! (Again something totally insane, and they don't tell you it's because if the pregnancy isn't going to take it'll miscarry within that window, so thanks I needed MORE to worry about at this point in my life)

Anyways back to the pee test. They made a HUGE deal that I didn't give them a large enough sample so back to the bathroom I had to go and I finally gave them something that was passable. Upon check out the receptionist/billing lady told me because of my insurance I need to go to Lab Corp or the hospital to get my tests done so I don't have to pay a deductible. I usually go to Quest since it's right around the corner from my house but fine I'll schedule an appointment elsewhere. When I looked up Lab Corp they were only open 9-4 pm or 9-1 pm, so I'd need to take PTO to go over there plus wake up Wil early to drive me (I can't drive post needle stick, after years of experience just trust me it doesn't work) Plus Lab Corp nor the hospital had weekend hours, well screw that. I went to Quest and had to pay something like a $30 deductible which was for the OB blood work AND my thyroid blood work for my endocrinologist. Well worth it.

Fast forward a month and I receive a bill in the mail from Einstein Hospital for $135. At first I'm confused because I'm well aware I haven't been hospitalized in the recent past. I think it's a fluke so throw it away. (don't roll your eyes at my naivety, my husband and father in law both got hospital bills from ER visits at another hospital that they didn't make, so it's possible) A few weeks later I get another bill in the mail, again stating I owe Einstein Hospital $135 only this time at the top right corner of the bill it says "total $1337.25"

Um what?!

Angry now I call the billing department. Now don't get me wrong, I completely understand the billing department and people working there have NO idea why I'm mad, it's not their fault someone charged me $1300 for A PEE TEST.
So I very nicely request an itemized bill stating I don't know how a urinalysis can cost this much and I will not be paying until I see the itemized bill. The woman assures me I'll have it next week.
Great.

So today I received said itemized bill in the mail. Now reviewing the first part of this story, I didn't ASK for a drug test, I was told I had to take one, I did not ASK to have the hospital process said drug test and I certainly didn't ASK to be charged $1337 for a test I didn't ask for.

This is how the bill reads:
BARBITURATE  158.00 (charges)
URINALYSIS     85.00
BENZODIAZEPIN  158.00
AMPHETAMINES  158.00
COCAINE               158.00
PCP                         158.00
OPIATES                158.00
CANNABINOIDS  158.00
CULTURE - URINE 146.25

Then apparently they were allow to give me an HMO Allowance bringing my total down to $675, then my insurance paid theri portion, leaving me responsible for the $135.  Well thank you very much.

We all want to know why the economy sucks and why insurance coverage sucks? This might be an indicator why. When I can get a vet visit for my cat and a urinalysis for him for $150 (without insurance) while mine is over a thousand dollars, I think the world has gone a little crazy. If it's so important to drug test new potential mothers than someone else needs to eat the cost OR the need to figure out a lower cost way to drug test OR maybe they should figure out if you're going to keep the baby, or if you're an actual drug user before issuing all these tests. I think the reason I'm so pissed off is because I was told tests at the hospital were 100% covered by my insurance which was obviously false information and because I've never done drugs in my life. Testing me for drugs was pointless, if I had to sign an affidavit swearing I don't and haven't done drugs I'd rather do that instead of this stupid pointless testing that costs me an arm and a leg.


No comments:

Post a Comment